- Responsible for organizing, developing, and directing skilled nursing services in accordance with the standards and practice of nursing, state and federal regulations, and Knute Nelson’s policies and procedures.
- Responsible for working with the team to implement and manage the clinical staff and program to ensure the delivery of high-quality patient care and services consistent with regulations and established clinical best practices. Performs assessments upon resident admission and creates and monitors a resident care plan.
- Works closely with the patient and with various members of other departments such as nursing, activities, dietary, housekeeping, social services, the Housing Administrator, Wellness Director, patients and families, and the medical community.
- Must have flexibility in schedule to fulfill an on-call rotation if required and be available for on-call medical questions and/or emergencies via phone.
- Assure that the highest degree of quality care, customer service, fiscal responsibility, and regulatory compliance is maintained at all times.
- Supervise Personnel - Interview, train, orientate, evaluate, recognize and discipline staff as needed. This includes providing day to day work direction and problem solving as issues or conflicts arise. Continually communicates expectations with staff. Ensures staff complies with online education training. Follow organizational Human Resource policies. Develop and maintain staffing and scheduling systems reflecting quality, cost, and appropriateness, based on workload, skills, availability of support services, infection control issues, and safety considerations. Assist in providing regular staff meetings and ongoing employee educational and development opportunities which meet regulatory requirements and increase knowledge. Create and maintain a work environment for employees that is conducive to high productivity and morale. Establish and maintain effective communication systems with employees.
- Clinical Management - Implement and maintain specific clinical standards for the facility. Follow the steps of the nursing process: Assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care based upon regulations and established clinical best practices. Manage and monitor the clinical components of the medical record for completeness and accuracy. Coordinate patient clinical needs with other patient care services both within and outside the facility. Work with the patient and family to obtain needed services and refers to outside agencies and facilities as needed. Assure that staff clearly understands and follow all patient care procedures and inform staff of any changes in the patient’s plan of care. Share patient and family concerns with pertinent staff if appropriate.
- Direct Patient Care - Initiating preventative and rehabilitative nursing procedures as appropriate for the patient's care and safety. Observing signs and symptoms and reporting to the physician reactions to treatments, including drugs, and changes in the patient's physical or emotional condition. Teaching, supervising and counseling the patient and caregivers regarding the nursing care needs and other related problems of the patient.
- Patient Living - Create and maintain an environment that achieves high quality care (physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual) of patients and maintain their independence and dignity to the highest degree possible within the Knute Nelson continuum. Establish and maintain effective communication systems with all patients.
- Relationships with Outside Constituencies - Promote a spirit of cooperation with all regulatory organizations managing with an expectation of appropriate compliance and corrective measures. Coordinate clinical care with other health care professionals inside and outside Knute Nelson.
- Communication - Communicate effectively with patients, families, referral sources, physicians, and the interdisciplinary team. Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Other Duties as Assigned - Serve on company committees as well as participating in industry events and committees as requested. Assist in the development of policies and procedures and implementation of them. Works with supervisor to ensure that emergency procedures and practices are appropriate and up to date. Will assist in other areas of the building and/or other housing facilities as needed. Will assist with public education and marketing of the nursing program offered. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Education and Experience Required
- Must be licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Minnesota.
- Must obtain CPR certification within 6 months from date of hire.
- Must complete and pass a state required background study.
- Must have strong assessment skills, good organizational skills, and strong problem-solving skills.
- This position requires an ability to work effectively with co-workers as a team and individually.
- Able to physically perform the duties required by the position.
- Required to have the ability to read, write and speak English well enough to communicate with staff, residents and visitors.